New style: flow map arrows

Last time, I wrote about the little details that make a good flow map. The data in that post was made up and simpler than your typical flow map. That’s why I wanted to redo it with real-world data. In this post, I’m using domestic migration data of Austria.

Raw migration data

Raw migration data, line width scaled to flow strength

With 9 states, that makes 72 potential flow arrows. Since that’s too much to map, I’ve decided in a first step to only show flows with more than 1,000 people.

Following the recommendations mentioned in the previous post, I first designed a basic flow map where each flow direction is rendered as a black arrow:

migration_basic

Basic flow map

Even with this very limited number of flows, the map gets pretty crowded, particularly around the north-eastern node, the Austrian capital Vienna.

To reduce the number of incoming and outgoing lines at each node, I therefore decided to change to colored one-sided arrows that share a common geometry:

migration_twocolor

Colored one-sided arrows

The arrow color is determined automatically based on the arrow direction using the following expression:

CASE WHEN
 "weight" < 1000 THEN color_rgba( 0,0,0,0)
WHEN
 x(start_point( $geometry)) - x(end_point($geometry)) < 0
THEN
 '#1f78b4'
ELSE
 '#ff7f00'
END

The same approach is used to control the side of the one-sided arrow head. The arrow symbol layer has two “arrow type” options for rendering the arrow head: on the inside of the curve or on the outside. This means that, if we wouldn’t use a data-defined approach, the arrow head would be on the same side – independent of the line geometry direction.

CASE WHEN
 x(start_point( $geometry)) - x(end_point($geometry)) < 0
THEN
ELSE
END

Obviously, this ignores the corner case of start and end points at the same x coordinate but, if necessary, this case can be added easily.

Of course the results are far from perfect and this approach still requires manual tweaking of the arrow geometries. Nonetheless, I think it’s very interesting to see how far we can push the limits of data-driven styling for flow maps.

Give it a try! You’ll find the symbol and accompanying sample data on the QGIS resource sharing plugin platform:

resourcesharing_flowmap

9 comments
  1. Antony Zonato said:

It would be much more interesting and useful if you would post the code / way to get from one map to another.

• Antony Zonato said:

I’m having big trouble getting from map 1 to map 2 (curved lines).

• Please have a look at the sample data provided with the style. To draw a curved arrow, the line needs to have one intermediate point between start and end. Depending on the intermediate point’s position, the line is more or less curved.

• Antony Zonato said:

Thank you! I thought that this intermediate point was dynamically generated within the style of the layer itself. It never occurred to me that there would be an intermediate point, so I did not look for it in your package.

2. Antony Zonato said:

Just tried it this morning and the curved lines works great! Thanks!

3. Adriana Quezada said:

Hi Anita, I´m very interested in use the flow style that you´ve created. For that reason, I would like to know which plugin did you use to create the line flows. I´ve created them using Points2One, but it doesn`t give me the option to create a line for each vertices, then -I`ve used Points to path plugin, and I`ve created lines for each vertices, but when I transform them in arrows (using the layer properties style) it doesn`t allow me to creat curved arrows. Do you know what could be happening?. Thanks!

• I created the lines manually. Please have a look at the sample data provided with the style. To draw a curved arrow, the line needs to have one intermediate point between start and end. Depending on the intermediate point’s position, the line is more or less curved.

• Adriana Quezada said: